It is with mixed feelings that we announce that Cam Graham has elected to move on from Laurentian Ski Hill. We wish to thank him for his many efforts and successes over the years. He will be missed by the Laurentian community, and we wish him all the best in his future endeavours. As such, we are looking to fill the position of General Manager of Laurentian Ski Hill:
Are you passionate about outdoor winter activities and the North Bay Community? Located just minutes from downtown North Bay, Laurentian Ski Hill offers an exciting and family friendly atmosphere in the heart of the city where everyone can enjoy a fun-filled, affordable day at the slopes.
We are currently looking for a General Manager to provide oversight and leadership to the key areas of the ski hill, offer guidance and advice to the board of directors, and act as the key organizational representative.
- Provides advice and guidance to the board of directors on issues related to the operation of the hill, and timely and relevant information as required
- Researches and develops options for new or revised policies, programs, procedures and information management systems, grants and alternate funding sources
- Prepares budgets associated with Outdoor/Indoor Operation and carries overall responsibility for working within the approved budget
- Represents the organization with external clients, media, Conservation Authority, City of North Bay, on cases/files/programs as directed by the Board of Directors
- Overall responsibility for ski hill finances, books (bookkeeper) balancing, bill payment, payroll, deposits, financial reports to board, end of year audits
- Regularly consults and communicates with managers and supervisors to stay informed on all aspects of hill operations and business activities to ensure that educated decisions can be made
- Oversee all health and safety activities for the hill ensuring all programs are in place and being adhered to, and all staff is appropriately trained
- Plans and executes maintenance program for lifts. Works in conjunction with qualified individual for alterations and submissions
- Liaise with program coordinator to ensure proper scheduling and accommodations for patrol staff scheduling
- Responsible for all indoor and outdoor pre and post season maintenance of ski hill and equipment in collaboration with Outdoor operations manager.
- Provide oversight and support for all ski hill special events and collaborate with program coordinator
- Develop and implement fundraising events with the assistance of the board where required and within the approved budget
- Oversight for all Human Resources functions at the hill, providing guidance and training to supervisors and managers and support for human resources initiatives, issues, best practices etc.
- Responsible for handling insurance inspections and claims
- Responsible for Public Relations including, all media communications for hill and board, advertising, web site, marketing and dealing with customers’ complaints and requests
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and attributes
- Communication: the ability to effectively communicate at all organizational levels and in any environment in both verbal and written form
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and have exceptional time management skills
- Attention to detail; ensures accuracy and completeness of work
- Planning and organizing: the ability to prioritize and plan multiple activities and meet objectives within established timelines
- Problem solving: the ability to seek out information, utilize all available resources, analyze problems, surmount barriers, and implement solutions
Qualifications and experience
- College Diploma or University Degree in a related field or equivalent experiences.
- CSIA or CASI certification may be considered an asset.
- Current CPR and First Aid, and Working at Heights certifications would be considered an asset.
- Customer service experience.
- Proven ability to lead and organization and motivate staff.
- Work weekends and holidays throughout the winter
- Physical labour, including but not limited to operating tractor, snow machines and ATV, and ability to lift up to 75lb
- Extended hours as required
- Prolonged standing, walking, lifting, squatting and bending
- Work in adverse weather conditions including cold and inclement weather
Candidates must be legally employable in Canada to be considered for employment.
Laurentian Ski Hill welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Salary commensurate with experience and credentials.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by midnight Sept. 15.
Want to Become an Instructor?
Share your love of the slopes. Become a certified instructor! We host Level 1 Certification Courses over the Christmas holidays for both Snowboard Instructors and Ski Instructors as well as around March Break. Contact us if you wish to become an instructor. CSIA has taken all precautions into consideration, and courses will be conducted online and on-hill only.
Volunteers are an integral part of the day-to-day operations at Laurentian Ski Hill. We look for volunteers of all ages who are willing to help out and learn. There are many parts of our operations that require volunteers, including: snow school, ticket checking, crowd control, terrain park, rentals, sales and special events as well as a variety of tasks in the pre and post ski season.
Our volunteer program is a fun and exciting way for students to get their mandatory volunteer hours whether for high school or post secondary requirements. Volunteering is a great opportunity to gain practical work experience in a flexible and varied environment.
Our volunteer program is for anyone with a passion for skiing or snowboarding to help out their local hill. We also have volunteer days each year in the fall to help prepare for the upcoming season. If you’re interested in volunteering at Laurentian Ski Hill, please contact the hill by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (705) 494-7463. Volunteer days will be announced on the website and social feeds.